Chronica Feudalis

Just thought I'd note an interesting game that has just come up on Story Games.

It's called Chronica Feudalis.

I don't know how the game will play out yet, but I like its premise.

A bunch of monks in the middle ages developed a roleplaying system to reflect the world around them. The current "author" is actually translating the text from ancient manuscripts in middle-english into modern English for a new generation of gamers.

Reminds me of the book "The Princess Bride", and a few other great pieces of literature which are presented in the form of a researcher's translations and interpretations of original source material.

From what little I've seen so far, it seems to use a similar system to John Harper's Agon, where you roll one or more dice as appropriate to the situation then simply keep the highest rolling die value as your result. It simplifies things by forgetting about modifiers, you just seem to roll more or less dice and aim for one of them to get high.

I also like the concept I'm seeing about developing characters through choosing a group of mentors who have shaped the character's life so far.

It looks like it's got some good ideas in it and it's definitely piqued my interest. I'll investigate it further and give a better report shortly.

Comments

Andrew Smith said…
I feel ripped off. I had the same idea for a format - the game in translation of old text - but I've been beaten to the punch. Bugger.

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)