#RPGaDay 20 and 21




Day 20 - Most challenging but rewarding system you have learned?

Most challenging system that I never quite learned would have to be Rolemaster, but that would only be an answer if you include "learning" the system to mean memorising all of the tables off by heart. It's a savage beast, with incredibly complexity. But actually, everything in it is pretty formulaic. These days I'd love to program the tables into a webpage or app that would take care of all the page turning and referencing behind the scenes, just giving the interesting and quirky outcomes. If someone's already done that, a link would be much appreciated.

A challenging system in another way entirely is Rifts, I did learn that basically inside out back in the day, but gained most of my rewards in play by ignoring the vast majority of the game system as written. Strangely, reports about official games run by Kevin S at Palladium HQ indicate that he did the same thing... He seems to have written the game as a AD&D heartbreaker, but run it as a loose freeform, only occasionally referencing the rules when it suited him.

In the years since then, I've tended to become more attracted to systems that aren't challenging to get into. Such games have a barrier of entry that just doesn't do it for me... I can handle a game where layers of complexity can be added into the experience when needed, but I've made my disdain for ad-hoc complications and hodge-podge systems pretty clear on a few occasions here at the blog.

I'm told "Burning Wheel" can be tricky to master, but has a lot to offer... I might get into that some time in the future. But my uni studies prevent me getting to engrossed in new game sustems at the moment.

Day 21 - Funniest misinterpretation of a rule in your group?

I know there have been some absolute doozies over the years, but when it comes to specifics, my mind is at a blank for the moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)