RPGaDay2017 #7

What was your most impactful RPG session?

Hmmm...

A few good ones here.

I know I've mentioned a few of them here on the blog over the years.

There was the game which crossed Mage and Amber back in 1999, in a basement flat in the sprawl of red-brick apartments and alleyways between Darlinghurst and Kings Cross, in the shadows of Sydney's CBD. The four of us in the game ended up moving into a share house together six months later, but we never got around to finishing the game. It was a game where we never looked at a character sheet, and where the three characters were never in the same place at the same time. It was all about relationships, back before relation driven games were the "hot new thing". Our characters each knew key NPCs, and there were occasional fleeting moments when we ran across one of the others, but there was so much more happening. We also portrayed lesser characters in each other's stories because we had so little to do with one another.

I learned through this a few things...

  • that gaming doesn't need to make sense
  • that we don't need to understand everything about a story to enjoy it
  • that player knowledge and character knowledge can be very different, and maintaining difference between them can bring its own enjoyment

Another session that clearly fits was my experience with the gaming style that I've now heard referred to as a "Braunstein". That game was called Raven's Nest (I'm trying to find links for this game, but they're getting harder to find...unless written by me, or some interested parties looking for more about it). It basically combined live action play with miniatures, in a way that I've tried to emulate many times, but have never successfully achieved. 25 players at the table, all with conflicting agendas, all playing in real time with multiple GMs coordinating plots and subplots into a marvelous chaos that kind of made sense at the end... which reminds me, I really must get back to my Goblin labyrinth game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)