Dungeon Geomorphs

A geomorph is basically a tesselating frament of a map, a bunch of them can be mixed and matched in a variety of configurations to make a huge variety of potential maps. I've toyed with them before (notably here and the geomorph guide here).

I'm at it again. But this time focusing on fragments of maps that might build up into a dungeon. It's basically an add-on for Catacomb Quest, where a cluster of four map geomorphs (in a 2x2 configuration) or nine geomorphs (as a 3x3) might be used to define a single section of the underground world being explored.


In Catacomb Quest, I used suits of cards to define 4 distinct types of threats that might be found under an ancient ruined city. This means I'm probably looking at 36 of these geomorphs (if I do 9 for each of the four suits), for starters I'll create five generic geomorphs including the catacombs entrance, a pair of generic rooms, a branching passageway, and an underground crossroads. Then I'll add five specific geomorphs for each of the suits (mostly rooms, or in the case of the sewers, pipelines). That knocks me down to 25 geomorphs I need to draw, and also ensures some better consistency accross the underground labyrinth (due to the commonality of the generic geomorphs). They're all being drawn as a 7x7 grid, with squares 4cm x 4cm, on A3 paper. When shrunk down and printed on A4, the squares drop to 28mm x 28mm, which fits the bases of most miniatures (which are often 25mm square or 25/30mm diameter).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)